E ngā Iwi, e ngā reo, e ngā karangatanga maha, e ngā hou e wha, tēnā koutou katoa.
Māori Touch NZ is the official Māori Sports Organisation for Touch in Aotearoa. We are responsible for supporting and developing the sport of Touch in Māori communities alongside our hapū, rohe, iwi and takiwā.
Touch is an inclusive sport, that continues to be popular with Māori across the motu. While our sport is dynamic and entertaining, our kaupapa will always be underpinned by whanaungatanga and enhancing the mana of our people.
Māori Touch NZ sits under the umbrella of the parent organisation, the National Māori Touch Trust. This trust was established in 1998, after consultation with hapū, rohe, iwi and takiwā from throughout Aotearoa. The purpose of the Trust is to support the aspirations of māori whānau, and strengthen tikanga, te reo, whanaungatanga and hauora through the game of touch.
Our Mission is: Māori will be empowered and strengthen in tikanga, te reo, whanaungatanga, and hauora through the game of touch.
Our guiding principles are:
- Mana (Authority)
- Rangatiratanga (Self-determination)
- Oritetanga (Equal Opportunity)
- Kaitiakitanga (Custodianship)
- Whakapapa (Connection through genealogy)
Māori Touch NZ consists of an executive charged with achieving the Trust's outcomes. These include:
- holding an annual Māori Touch NZ National Touch Tournament;
- selecting national teams to represent Māori Touch NZ at international competition;
- support the development of Māori touch organisations that represent iwi, hapu, waka and takiwa throughout Aotearoa;
- support the participation and development of Māori in the sport of touch.
Māori Touch NZ Committee
Māori Touch NZ is run entirely by volunteers, committed to our vision, aspiration & kaupapa. We are extremely grateful to those listed below and the countless others that are not listed, but have served Māori Touch NZ for 25+ years!
Our Leadership Team
- Finney Davis | Chairperson
- Harley Wall | Secretary-Treasurer
- Tania David | Trustee
- Pat Spellman | Trustee, Communications Director
- Manu Soloman | Trustee, Life Member
- Te Puia Williams | Trustee
- Nathan Soloman | Trustee
- Morgan Maruera | Trustee
Our Executive Office Holders
- Carol Ngawati MNZM | Kairangi (Patron), Life Member, Te Huinga Tākaro o Aotearoa Representative
- Sue Panapa | Life Member, National Coordinator (National Events)
- Rod Walker | Performance & Pathways Panel Lead
- Berkie Kapa | Referee Director (National Events)